Classes - What to Bring (Requirements Lists) - Patchwork for Beginners (5 week course)
- Sewing Machine, power lead, foot pedal and the Instruction Book
- Spare Machine Bobbins that fit your machine
- Universal Sewing Machine Needles (preferably size 80 and 90 )
- Wonder clips
- Safety pins
- Unpicker/Seam Ripper
- Scissors - one pair for cutting out fabric; one pair for paper and a small pair for snipping threads and clipping fabrics
- Rotary cutter (if you already own any acrylic rulers then bring these too)
- Marking tools (chalk, iron off/wash off pens, chalk pencils)
- Pen, pencil, ruler and notebook
- Spray starch and 505 Temporary Adhesive - these will be discussed on the course
The requirements here are the a general guide to what you will need to make 4 blocks. These can be made into a table runner or, with additional fabric, can be made into a quilt; the size of which you can choose.
- Fabric (Quilting Cotton)
- 4 coloured/patterned fabrics (Christmas themed optional - ours uses 2 reds and 2 greens) - a fat quarter of each will be more than enough.
- 1m for the background fabric
- Wadding / Backing
- This will depend on the size you want to make and guidance will be available on the course. For the table runner, we suggest 0.5m but there will be lots left over as wadding is very wide.
- Bias Binding - 4m for binding a table runner
- Matching thread (or light grey if you are using contrasting colours.
All Machine Sewing Classes
We do not provide sewing machines for classes as we believe that you will learn more from using your own machine. If your machine is too heavy to lift; let us know before the class and we can make exception by prior arrangement.
We can help you to get your sewing machine from your car to the workshop space upstairs if you pull up outside the shop on the double yellow lines to drop it off. Then you can go and park in the car park behind.
If your class goes over lunchtime you can either:
- Bring your lunch with you
- Pre-order your lunch from the lovely cafe opposite the shop (The Commute).
Our classes generally only break for a maximum 30 minutes so there isn't really time to go out and buy lunch during the day.