Classes - What to Bring (Requirements List) - Bag Making Technqiues
Requirements List - Bag Making Techniques
You will need to collect your pattern pieces from the shop before the course starts (we can arrange to send them out to you at cost if you aren't able to come in).
You will then need to purchase fabrics and cut them out in accordance with the patterns prior to the first session. As the pieces are basic shapes but there are quite a few pieces, it means that we don't have to spend the whole first lesson cutting out and can concentrate on learning.
- Sewing Machine (clean and in good working order)
- The Instruction Book
- Spare Machine Bobbins (must be the correct ones for your machine)
- All the feet and accessories that came with the machine including the zipper foot and a walking foot if you have one
- Universal Sewing Machine Needles Sizes 80 (quilting cottons) 90 or 100 (canvas/heavier weight fabrics)
- Cutting out scissors or rotary cutter
- Paper scissors
- Small Pair of scissors with small pointed tip or Unpicker/Seam Ripper
- Tape measure or quilting ruler (inches)
- Fading Marker Pen or Tailors Chalk and/or a sharpened pencil
- Sewing clips and pins
- Wonder Tape if you have it (double sided quilting tape - 6mm or less)
- Pen, pencil and a ruler
Fabric & Hardware Requirements:
- 0.50 m exterior fabric in quilting cotton or a linen/canvas.
- 0.50 m lining fabric (quilting cotton)
- Foam Stabiliser
- EITHER Stylvil x 0.60m
- OR Headliner Foam x 0.30m •
- Fusible fleece (H640) for flap 7” x 6”
- EITHER G700 woven interfacing x 1.00m
- OR F220 non-woven interfacing x 1.00m (medium weight iron on)
- #5 Closed End zip.10” [or 10 ¾” if it’s continuous zip*]
- #3 Closed End zip. 5” [or 5 ¾” if its continuous zip*]
- Magnetic snap 14mm or 18mm - smaller is better but it’s not too important.
- 25mm/1” D-Ring [if you want a strap instead of a wristlet, you require 2 of these]
- 25mm/1” Swivel Clip/Lobster Clip [as above, if you want a strap, you will need 2 of these]
- 0.3m Pre-made Piping trim (½” / 13mm wide if possible)
*Continuous Zipper Tape tends to come with sliders included – 2 or 3 per metre, depending on where you purchase. Make sure you check they are included.
- Main body (Cut 2 Exterior, 2 Lining, 2 Foam, 4 Interfacing)
- Slip Pocket (Cut 1 Exterior, 1 Lining, 1 Interfacing) 6 5/8” x 4 5/8” (17cm x 12cm)
- Zip pocket (Cut 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing) 6” x 5.5” (15cm x 14cm)
- Pocket Flap (Cut 1 Exterior, 1 Lining, 2 Interfacing, 1 fusible fleece)
- Wristlet Strap (1 Exterior, 1 interfacing) 4” x 14” (10cm x 35cm) – If you prefer, this can be exchanged for a Shoulder strap in which case make this 4” x 30” (10cm x 76cm) Please note this pattern piece is not included in the packet you collect from the shop, but will be provided at the start of the class.
- Tabs for Zip (Cut 2 Exterior) 1 ½” x 1 ¾” (4cm x 4.5cm)
- Side Tab (Cut 1 Exterior, 1 Interfacing) 2 ½” x 2” (6cm x 5cm) [cut 2 if you want a shoulder strap]
All Machine Sewing Classes
We do not provide sewing machines for classes as we believe that you will learn more from using your own machine. If your machine is too heavy to lift; let us know before the class and we can make exception by prior arrangement.
We can help you to get your sewing machine from your car to the workshop space upstairs if you pull up outside the shop on the double yellow lines to drop it off. Then you can go and park in the car park behind.
If your class goes over lunchtime you can either:
- Bring your lunch with you
- Pre-order your lunch from the lovely cafe opposite the shop (The Commute).
Our classes generally only break for a maximum 30 minutes so there isn't really time to go out and buy lunch during the day.
We have tea and coffee available all day free of charge. In classes less than 3 hours we ask that you come early and make a drink before we start.