Classes - What to Bring (Requirements List) - FME & More
Requirements List - Techniques - Free Motion Embroidery & More
- Sewing Machine (clean and in good working order)
- The Instruction Book, Foot Pedal & Power Lead
- Spare machine bobbins that are for the make and model of your machine
- All the feet and accessories that came with your machine, including the free stitching/darning foot
- Sewing Machine Needles - Top Stitch Assorted Size 80-12 - 100/16
- Scissors - Fabric Scissors and a small pair of scissors with sharp points
- Fabric Marking Pen, HB Pencil and Ruler
- Embroidery Hoop 20cm (8")
- If your embroidery frame is wooden, you will need to bind the inner hoop with plain cotton tape. You will need approximately 2.00m of cotton twill tape to bind a 20cm hoop.
- Small Screwdriver
Project / Sample Requirements
- 30cm Calico
- 50cm Square of Felt OR 2 x A4 Sheets of Felt
- 30cm plain Quilting Cotton, eg Makower Spectrum, Linen Texture or Spraytime
- Please bring small pieces of plain or patterned fabrics (quilting weight cottons are easier to use)
- 30cm Organza x 148cm wide OR 1.00m Organza x 29cm wide
- 30cm Budget Heavyweight Interfacing OR Vliesline (Vilene) H250
- 30cm Tear Away Stabiliser (Stitch n Tear)
- 30cm Water Soluble Stabiliser (Solufleece)
- Piece about A3 size of baking parchment paper
- 505 Spray Glue*
- Reel of White Bobbin thread
- Selection of sewing threads, machine quilting threads and machine embroidery threads *
- Selection of hand embroidery, crochet and knitting threads and yarns*
- A4 size piece of Bondaweb or other fusible web
For the fabrics and thread try to keep to a colour scheme but the all items marked * the Tutor will have some for you to use.
All Machine Sewing Classes
We do not provide sewing machines for classes as we believe that you will learn more from using your own machine. If your machine is too heavy to lift; let us know before the class and we can make exception by prior arrangement.
We can help you to get your sewing machine from your car to the workshop space upstairs if you pull up outside the shop on the double yellow lines to drop it off. Then you can go and park in the car park behind.
If your class goes over lunchtime you can either:
- Bring your lunch with you
- Pre-order your lunch from the lovely cafe opposite the shop (The Commute).
Our classes generally only break for a maximum 30 minutes so there isn't really time to go out and buy lunch during the day.
We have tea and coffee available all day free of charge. In classes less than 3 hours we ask that you come early and make a drink before we start.