Classes - What to Bring (Requirements List) - Dressmaking Days, Sewcials & Club Sessions
Requirements List - Dressmaking Days, Sewcials & Club Sessions
Dressmaking Days, Bag Making Club & Patchwork Sewcials
Our Dressmaking Days, Bag Making Club & Patchwork Sewcials are opportunities for you to bring along a project of your choice and get help with it.
We recommend that you bring a small variety of projects at different stages so that you always have something that you can progress whilst the tutor is busy helping someone else.
There is minimal space for cutting out on the day; so do bring projects where you might need some help with pattern alterations or planning but then take them home to actually cut out.
Our Sewing Clubs do not have a tutor available but are still an opportunity to meet up with like minded sewists. We range from having dressmakers, patchworkers, beginners and experienced alike. They are fun and sociable sessions where we help each other out; sharing our experiences and learning from each other.
What to Bring
- Pattern, Fabric and Notions for each project
- Sewing Machine, Foot pedal and Power Lead (see our info on transporting your machine to class)
- The Instruction Book
- Overlocker and accessories (dressmaking - if you have one).
- Bobbins loaded with the correct thread (must be the correct bobbins for your machine) plus spare bobbins
- All the feet and accessories that came with the machine
- Sewing Machine needles appropriate for the fabric you are using
- Machine sewing thread to match and to contrast
- Fading/Iron off/Wash off Pen in a contrast colour to your chosen fabrics
- Tailors Chalk or Chalk Wheel
- Pen, pencil and notebook
- Pins (Long fine ones are best for dressmaking)
- Fabric scissors for cutting out
- Dressmaker's Tissue / Tracing Paper
- Paper scissors
- Small pair of scissors with sharp points
- Tape measure
- Patchwork Sewcials - Rotary Cutter and Acrylic Rulers
All Machine Sewing Classes
We do not provide sewing machines for classes as we believe that you will learn more from using your own machine. If your machine is too heavy to lift; let us know before the class and we can make exception by prior arrangement.
We can help you to get your sewing machine from your car to the workshop space upstairs if you pull up outside the shop on the double yellow lines to drop it off. Then you can go and park in the car park behind the shop (see directions here).
If your class goes over lunchtime you can either:
- Bring your lunch with you
- Pre-order your lunch from the lovely cafe opposite the shop (The Commute).
Our classes generally only break for a maximum 30 minutes so there isn't really time to go out and buy lunch during the day.
We have tea and coffee available all day free of charge. In classes less than 3 hours we ask that you come early and make a drink before we start.