Classes - What to Bring (Requirements Lists) - Sewing with Stretch (1 day or 3 weeks)
- Sewing Machine, power lead, foot pedal and the Instruction Book
- Spare Machine Bobbins that fit your machine
- Ballpoint or Jersey Sewing Machine Needles (preferably size 80 and 90 )
- A Twin Needle size 80 or 90 with 2.5 or 4mm gap
- OPTIONAL - Walking Foot to fit your machine if you have one.
- Pins /Wonder clips
- Unpicker/ Seam Ripper
- Scissors - one pair for cutting out fabric; one pair for paper and a small pair for snipping threads and clipping fabrics
- Marking tools (chalk, iron off/wash off pens, chalk pencils)
- Pen, pencil and notebook
- Tape measure
- Thread (Gutermann Sew All or Maraflex are our recommendation)
Using an Overlocker
If you have an overlocker you may wish to bring this as well but you must be confident in 4 thread seaming and understand the differential feed.
- The overlocker instruction book
- 2 ball point needles size 80 & 90 to fit the overlocker
- 4 reels or cones of 100% polyester overlocking thread
- We will be using the Billie pattern by Tilly & The Buttons.
- We recommend using sweatshirting, french terry or ponte de roma with at least 10% stretch, for the main fabric and ribbing, if the main fabric has less than 20% stretch, or the same fabric for the neckband, hem band and cuffs.
- To see how much fabric you will need please follow this link to the pattern and all the details are there. You will need to measure your bust, waist and hip as the sizing does not match shop bought clothing. If you aren't sure, ask or go up a size as we will do full measurements in class. If you
- Matching thread
- 25cm (10in) x 6-8mm wide stay tape to stabilise the shoulders
- We will be using the Agnes pattern by Tilly & The Buttons.
- We recommend using jersey (cotton works best). Check that the fabric can be stretched crosswise at least 25% wider than its original width.
- To see how much fabric you will need please follow this link to the pattern and all the details are there. You will need to measure your bust, waist and hip as the sizing does not match shop bought clothing. If you aren't sure, ask or go up a size as we will do full measurements in class.
- Matching thread
- 25cm (10in) x 6-8mm wide stay tape to stabilise the shoulder seams
- Optional: 0.5m (20in) x 5mm wide woven or braided elastic for the ruched sleeves and neckline.
All Machine Sewing Classes
We do not provide sewing machines for classes as we believe that you will learn more from using your own machine. If your machine is too heavy to lift; let us know before the class and we can make exception by prior arrangement.
We can help you to get your sewing machine from your car to the workshop space upstairs if you pull up outside the shop on the double yellow lines to drop it off. Then you can go and park in the car park behind.
If your class goes over lunchtime you can either:
- Bring your lunch with you
- Pre-order your lunch from the lovely cafe opposite the shop (The Commute).
Our classes generally only break for a maximum 30 minutes so there isn't really time to go out and buy lunch during the day.